Friday 4 December 2015

This morning

This morning the power went out
and I sat in the dark at my desk
My steaming cup of tea in hand
on a quiet morning at the office

Suddenly feeling a bit excited
with this change in routine,
Ten minutes later, the lights on
as if nothing had happened

Sitting still in my office chair
typing on my plastic keyboard
feet now warm beside my electric heater
I'm pondering the end of the world

Apparently we have only 17 days left
of existence on this planet
21-12-12

I feel like 12-12-12 would have been
a more significant number
but what is a number
except the significance
that we give to it?

In the hallway I hear laughter
and someone's surprised exclamation
that they have high blood pressure,
and the soft lull of the receptionist's voice
leaving a message on the phone.


Written Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 2:26pm

No comments:

Post a Comment